Culinary Walking Tour Highlighting Architect Sinan’s Famous Works
Architect Sinan of the 16th century is the most celebrated of all Ottoman architects, whose ideas, perfected in the construction of mosques and other buildings, served as the basic themes for virtually all later Turkish religious and civic architecture.
He was the chief architect of the Ottoman Empire at a time when it was at the zenith of its political power and cultural brilliance. The number of projects Sinan undertook is said to be about 375, out of which 79 were mosques.
Sinan’s first truly important architectural project was the Şehzade Mosque, which Sinan regarded as the best work of his apprenticeship. About 9-10 years later he built the Süleymaniye Mosque for Sultan Süleyman, the Magnificent. It was the largest mosque ever, and it still is one of the largest built in the Ottoman Empire.
Şehzade and Süleymaniye Mosques are the first two of the three major works that illustrated the development and maturing stages of Sinan’s career as an architect.
On this tour, in addition to these two works, we will also visit the Rüstem Pasha Mosque, by seeing all three, we will be able to follow the development of his career.
All of these mosques are located in some off-the-beaten areas that offer a lot of street food options. That’s why we wanted to combine this Architect Sinan tour with some food tastings.
As you might know, Istanbul is one of the most unique cities in the world, where one can observe diverse daily life in a setting of ancient history and natural beauty. The people of Istanbul are also unique, making up a cultural mosaic of different national, ethnic, cultural and religious origins. This rich international culture is apparent also in cuisines, food and eating styles of Istanbul. The bustling city of Istanbul is internationally and locally famous for its mouth-watering cuisine.
Join this 5 or 6-hour food tour and dive into the sights, scents and tastes of Istanbul. You will enjoy more than 10 delicious tastings, including seasonal street food. You will explore parts of the city which you would normally not do on your own.
On this tour, we will take you to the places that locals cherish for a foodie experience of daily life that you won’t soon forget.
What we offer is a cultural and culinary walking tour with food tastings through Istanbul’s most delicious and historic neighborhoods. These culinary experiences help you understand the contemporary life and culture of the city. Few travelers, unfortunately, have the opportunity to have real tastes and tours of these places.
This tour includes food tastings from the best and hidden local food shops, ethnic eateries, and local small and casual restaurants, as well as an “off-the-beaten-path” glimpse of life in Istanbul with a little bit of history, culture, architecture, and local experiences. You will get to escape the tourist crowds and taste the best of what the city offers.
Culinary Walking Tour Highlighting Architect Sinan’s Famous Works – Program Summary
(There may be changes in the program)
- The tour will start from the Vezneciler Metro Station on the Hacıosman-Yenikapı Line – details to be provided to registrants – details to be provided to registrants later.
- Orientation and short intro about Architect Sinan.
- Şehzade Mosque
- Bozdoğan (Valens) Aqueduct
- Famous Boza shop in Vefa
- Süleymaniye Mosque & Complex
- Bean and rice lunch in the Süleymaniye neighborhood
- Rüstem Pasha Mosque
- Tastings in the Spice Bazaar area in Eminönü
- Tastings in the Sirkeci area
- Conclude the tour in Sirkeci/Eminönü
- Let us remind you that ladies are required to wear scarves and decent clothing during mosque visits.
- If you like a food tour covering two continents in Istanbul, you can look at Culinary Walking Tour of Istanbul Spanning Two Continents.
- If you like a short version of this food tour, which you can also do in the evening, you can take a look here.
- Private tour only for you, no other participants.
- 5 or 6-hour cultural and culinary walking tour.
- Snack on more than 10 different samples of street food and drinks.
- Experience the religious, cultural, commercial and culinary aspects of daily life together.
- Step inside Şehzade, Süleymaniye and Rüstem Pasha Mosques to admire their colorful interior.
- Visit some food markets.
- Discover Istanbul’s street foods.
- Explore a new neighborhood and feel the local atmosphere. Very few travelers get there.
- Get restaurant suggestions for your stay during other days.
Meeting Point and Time:
- As this is a private tour only for you with no other participants, we can start the tour anytime you like.
- Depending on the location of your hotel, we may pick you up from your hotel by public transport or we may meet at the Vezneciler Metro Station on the Hacıosman-Yenikapı Line.
- This tour is available everyday.
Duration of the Tour:
- It will take about 5-6 hours.
- The price is $265.00 USD per person (Minimum 2 participants).
- Children up to the age of 6 are free.
- For the confirmation of the tour, we will kindly ask you to make online payment by clicking on “BOOK NOW” button on this page.
What is Included?
- Professional tour guide services by Serif Yenen or one of his team members.
- Orientation and introduction about Architect Sinan.
- Some complimentary copies of Serif’s publications.
- Public transportation.
- More than 10 tastings, bites & sips.
- Tea/coffee breaks.
- Entrance costs to the places to be visited.
What is not Included?
- Alcoholic Drinks
- Personal expenses
- Gratuity to the guide (optional)
Terms & Conditions and Cancellation Policy
This tour is operated by A-group Travel Agency “Serif Yenen Travel” licensed by the Turkish Ministry of Tourism (Licence number: 8860)