Culinary Walking Tour of Istanbul Spanning Two Continents
Istanbul is one of the most unique cities in the world, where one can observe diverse daily life in a setting of ancient history and natural beauty. The people of Istanbul are also unique, making up a cultural mosaic of different national, ethnic, cultural and religious origins. This rich international culture is apparent also in cuisines, food and eating styles of Istanbul. The bustling city of Istanbul is internationally and locally famous for its mouth-watering cuisine.
Turkish Cuisine is considered to be among the best in the world. A wide range of civilizations from history, a variety of styles, and an abundant food supply have all contributed to today’s Turkish cuisine. It is a fusion and refinement of Central Asian, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, Eastern European and Balkan cuisines.
Join this 5 or 6-hour food tour and dive into the sights, scents and tastes of Istanbul. Arrive with an empty stomach and an open mind, as you’ll enjoy more than 10-15 delicious tastings, including traditional ‘mezes’ and seasonal street food. We will explore both the European and Asian sides of Istanbul, by using various forms of public transportation just like locals.
On this tour, we will take you to the places that locals cherish for a foodie experience of daily life that you won’t soon forget.
What we offer is a cultural and culinary walking tour with food tastings through Istanbul’s most delicious and historic neighborhoods. These culinary experiences help you understand the contemporary life and culture of the city. Few travelers, unfortunately, have the opportunity to have real tastes and tours of these places.
This tour includes food tastings from the best and hidden local food shops, ethnic eateries, and local small and casual restaurants, as well as an “off-the-beaten-path” glimpse of life in Istanbul with a little bit of history, culture, architecture, and local experiences. You will get to escape the tourist crowds and taste the best of what the city offers.
Culinary Walking Tour of Istanbul Spanning Two Continents – Program Summary
(There may be changes in the program)
- The tour will start from the Spice Bazaar area and end in Karaköy – details to be provided to registrants later.
- Orientation and short intro about Turkish food.
- Tastings in the Spice Bazaar area in Eminönü
- Rüstem Pasha Mosque by Architect Sinan
- Tastings in the Sirkeci area
- Marmaray (Intercontinental Tube) from Sirkeci to Üsküdar on the Asian side
- Tastings in the marketplace in Üsküdar
- Public ferry to Karaköy
- More tastings in the Karaköy area
- Conclude the tour in Karaköy
- Let us remind you that ladies are required to wear scarves and decent clothing during mosque visits.
- If you like a short version of this food tour, which you can also do in the evening, you can take a look here.
- If you like a backstreets food tour in the Old City with a focus on the works of Architect Sinan, you can look at Culinary Walking Tour Highlighting Architect Sinan’s Famous Works
- Private tour only for you, no other participants.
- 5 or 6-hour culinary-themed walking tour or a tasting journey going from one continent to another on the same day, in the same city.
- Snack on more than 10-15 different samples of street food and drinks.
- Cross the Bosphorus in the train passing through the underwater tube at the bottom of the Bosphorus, and come back to Europe in a public boat.
- Take an orientation on Turkish cuisine so that you will know better what to order during the remaining days of your stay.
- Experience the religious, cultural, commercial and culinary aspects of daily life together.
- Step inside Rustem Pasha Mosque to admire its colorful interior.
- Visit some food markets on Istanbul’s European and Asian sides.
- Discover Istanbul’s most iconic street foods, such as sea food, kokoreç, local desserts and many more.
- Explore a neighborhood on the Asian side of Istanbul and feel the local atmosphere there. Very few travelers get there.
- Try various public transportation means.
- Get restaurant suggestions for your stay during other days.
Meeting Point and Time:
- As this is a private tour only for you with no other participants, we can start the tour anytime you like.
- Depending on the location of your hotel, we may pick you up from your hotel by public transport or we may meet you at a certain point in the Old City.
- This tour is available everyday.
Duration of the Tour:
- It will take about 5-6 hours.
- The price is $275.00 USD per person (Minimum 2 participants).
- Children up to the age of 6 are free.
- For the confirmation of the tour, we will kindly ask you to make online payment by clicking on “BOOK NOW” button on this page.
What is Included?
- Professional tour guide services by Serif Yenen or one of his team members.
- Orientation and introduction about Turkish food.
- Some complimentary copies of Serif’s publications.
- Public transportation.
- More than 10-15 tastings, bites & sips.
- Tea/coffee breaks.
- Entrance costs to the places to be visited.
What is not Included?
- Alcoholic Drinks
- Personal expenses
- Gratuity to the guide (optional)
This tour is operated by A-group Travel Agency “Serif Yenen Travel” licensed by the Turkish Ministry of Tourism (Licence number: 8860)