Driving Tour of Byzantine Istanbul – II
Byzantine Istanbul is a private driving tour with Serif Yenen or one of his colleagues from the Serif Yenen Private Guides Team.
In 330 AD, Constantine the Great chose Byzantium as the new capital for the Roman Empire. The name of the city was first changed into Nea Roma (New Rome), later to Constantinople after his name. Constantine the Great donated the city with lots of public buildings, streets, monuments and a forum with his own name. He built new walls enlarging the city. The population is believed to have risen to 170 thousand from about 25-30 thousand. He allowed Christianity and started building churches including the first version of the Hagia Sophia and Hagia Irene.
Theodosius I banned paganism with an edict in 392 AD and divided the Roman Empire into two in 395 AD. He split the empire into Eastern and Western between his two sons. The Western Roman Empire collapsed in 476, but the Eastern Roman Empire continued for more than 1000 years and was also called as the Byzantine Empire by historians.
By adding new defensive walls in the early 5th century, Theodosius II enlarged the city even more. These walls stopped tens of armies attacking Constantinople in the following centuries.
Constantinople hosted the Byzantine Empire until 1453. As it was the capital, many Byzantine monuments have survived to our day. On this tour we will be searching some of these Byzantine artifacts that spread all over the Old City. This is a large area to cover by walk. That’s why we do the tour with a van, making stops at every monument.
There will be good photo opportunities and a lunch stop (not included in the price) at a restaurant with good local food.
Come join us to discover the Byzantine Istanbul in the Historic Peninsula located within the City Walls.
Private Driving Tour of Byzantine Istanbul – Program Summary
(There may be changes in the program)
- The tour will start from your hotel.
- Orientation and short intro about the Byzantine history.
- Theodosian Walls (Land Walls of Constantinople)
- Porte Aurea (Golden Gate)
- Palace of the Porphyrogenitus (Tekfur Palace)
- Cistern of Aetius
- Monastery of Christ Pantokrator (Molla Zeyrek Mosque)
- Saint Polyeuktos Church Ruins
- Aqueduct of Valens
- Lunch break at a casual restaurant with good local food
- Kalenderhane Mosque (Theotokos Kiriotissa Church)
- Forum of Theodosius
- Myraleion Church (Bodrum Mosque)
- The tour will end either at your hotel or anywhere you like to be dropped off on the way to the hotel.
- Let us remind you that ladies are required to wear scarves and decent clothing during mosque visits.
- This tour is the second of the two Byzantine Istanbul tours. The first one is a walking tour focusing on the Byzantine monuments located in the heart of the Old City (Constantinople). Take a look at it at the link here: Walking Tour of Byzantine Istanbul – I
- Private tour only for you, no other participants.
- Discover some of the unknown or lesser-known places that spread out in the Old City.
- Lunch break will be at a very good casual local restaurant with traditional food
- Catch picturesque instants with your camera.
Meeting Point and Time:
- As this is a private tour only for you with no other participants, we can start the tour anytime you like.
- The tour will start from your hotel and end either at your hotel or anywhere you like to be dropped off on the way back to the hotel.
- This tour is available everyday.
Duration of the Tour:
- It will take about 5-6 hours.
- The price is $300.00 USD per person (Minimum 2 participants).
- Children up to the age of 6 are free.
- For the confirmation of the tour, we will kindly ask you to make online payment by clicking on “BOOK NOW” button on this page.
What is Included?
- Professional tour guide services by Serif Yenen or one of his team members.
- Orientation and introduction about the Byzantine history
- Some complimentary copies of Serif’s publications.
- Transportation in a private van.
- Tea/coffee breaks.
- Entrance fees and costs to the places to be visited.
What is not Included?
- Personal expenses
- Gratuity to the guide (optional)
This tour is operated by A-group Travel Agency “Serif Yenen Travel” licensed by the Turkish Ministry of Tourism (Licence number: 8860)