Discovery and Shopping Walk in and around the Grand Bazaar
The Grand Bazaar in Istanbul is one of the world’s biggest and oldest covered markets, and its location is just next to the Forum of Constantine, which was built by Constantine the Great when he made Istanbul the new capital for the Roman Empire in the 4th century. This means that the Grand Bazaar area has been the commercial center of the city for 1600 years. In other words, the construction of the Grand Bazaar in its current location was not a coincidence. This has been the place where the heart of the commercial life of the city beats.
With more than 3,000 shops today, the Grand Bazaar looks like a labyrinth. If you do not know what you are doing there, it may be a little bit overwhelming.
That’s why we offer this tour for you. If you like to learn about the development of commercial life and the bazaar’s colorful history or explore the bazaar area with an expert or do some shopping, this tour will be a wonderful idea. We can customize the tour to your wishes.
On this tour, you can meet the craftsmen, sample Turkish sweets and re-fuel with a cup of traditional Turkish coffee or tea, hone your haggling skills and pick up some unique souvenirs, from handcrafted jewelry to fine carpets, to boxes of Turkish Delight.
This tour will surprise even long-time residents of Istanbul with many unknown and backstreet visits. In the company of Serif Yenen or one of his team members, you can experience the feeling of discovery and special shopping.
The program will include visits to several hans, backstreets and specialty stores. There will be some food tastings. If you like you can have many shopping opportunities too.
Discovery and Shopping Walk in and around the Grand Bazaar – Program Summary
(There may be changes in the program)
- The tour will start in the Grand Bazaar area – details to be provided to registrants later.
- Orientation and short intro about the Byzantine and Ottoman history with a focus on commercial life.
- Vezir Han
- Forum of Constantine
- Nuruosmaniye Mosque
- Çuhacı Han
- Yağcı Han
- Sandal Bedesteni
- Cevahir Bedesteni
- Zincirli Han
- Kalıcılar Han
- Büyük Valide Han
- With additional surprise visits depending on availability
- Conclude the tour in the Grand Bazaar area.
- This tour is a private tour only for you, no other participants.
- 4-hour behind-the-scenes tour of the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul.
- Meet artisans in the market who have worked there for generations.
- Explore the backstreets in and around the bazaar.
- Discover some of the unknown or lesser-known places located around the bazaar.
- Learn about the site’s history.
- Enjoy samples of local street food and sip on Turkish coffee or tea.
- Practice the art of bargaining.
- Receive some complimentary copies of Serif’s publications.
- Catch bargains.
Meeting Point and Time:
- This tour is a private tour only for you, no other participants
- We can start this tour anytime you like.
- Depending on the location of your hotel, we may pick you up from your hotel by public transport or we may meet you in the Grand Bazaar area.
- This tour is available everyday except for Sundays
Duration of the Tour:
- It will take about 4 hours.
- The price is $250.00 USD per person (Minimum 2 participants).
- Children up to the age of 6 are free.
- For the confirmation of the tour, we will kindly ask you to make online payment by clicking on “BOOK NOW” button on this page.
What is Included?
- Professional tour guide services by Serif Yenen or one of his team members.
- Orientation and introduction about the Byzantine and Ottoman history with a focus on commercial life.
- Some complimentary copies of Serif’s publications.
- Some tastings.
- Tea/coffee breaks.
What is not Included?
- Personal expenses
- Gratuity to the guide (optional)
This tour is operated by A-group Travel Agency “Serif Yenen Travel” licensed by the Turkish Ministry of Tourism (Licence number: 8860)