A Unique Walking Tour: Underground and Secret Istanbul (Roofs-Terraces & Underground)
An Off-the-Beaten Walking Tour: Underground and Secret Istanbul with Serif Yenen or one of his colleagues from the Serif Yenen Private Guides Team.
Istanbul, as the capital of three great empires – the Roman, Byzantine and the Ottoman – has a very diverse and rich history. It is one of the most unique cities in the world; and we are privileged to live in this unique city and have much to discover.
But over the centuries, sometimes out of ignorance or lack of appreciation, sometimes in haste or to meet urgent needs, newer buildings have been built over older ones. Today, as we go back and investigate more, and in the course of recent construction projects, new discoveries are being made constantly, and long-lost traces of previous occupants of the city are being uncovered. History is being re-written.
This tour will surprise even long-time residents of Istanbul with visits to many unknown and unexpected ruins beneath the city. In the company of Serif Yenen or one of his team members, you can experience the feeling of discovery and privilege of seeing many artifacts, which millions of people living in Istanbul ‘above ground’ are unfamiliar with.
The program will include visits to several cisterns, palace ruins, sub-structures, storage rooms and some panoramic terraces.
There will be a lunch stop (not included in the price) at a restaurant with good local food.
Come join us to discover what lies beneath and what is above in the heart of the Old City.
A Unique Walking Tour: Underground and Secret Istanbul – Program Summary
(There may be changes in the program)
- The tour will start in the Sultanahmet area – details to be provided to registrants later.
- Orientation and short intro about the Byzantine and Ottoman history
- Ruins of the Byzantine Great Palace
- Nakkas Cistern
- Serefiye Cistern
- Lunch at a restaurant (lokanta) with good local food
- Hans around the Constantine Forum
- There may be additional surprise visits depending on availability
- The tour will end in the Grand Bazaar area.
- This tour is a private tour only for you, no other participants.
- Discover some of the unknown or lesser-known places that lie beneath Istanbul.
- Go beyond the regular, visit off the beaten paths and become true travelers.
- This tour will surprise even long-time residents of Istanbul with many unknown and unexpected ruins beneath the city or panoramic terraces.
- Lunch break will be at a very good casual local restaurant with traditional food
- Catch picturesque instants with your camera.
Meeting Point and Time:
- As this is a private tour only for you with no other participants, we can start the tour anytime you like.
- Depending on the location of your hotel, we may pick you up from your hotel by public transport or we may meet you at a certain point in the Old City.
- This tour is available everyday.
Duration of the Tour:
- It will take about 5-6 hours.
- The price is $250.00 USD per person (Minimum 2 participants).
- Children up to the age of 6 are free.
- For the confirmation of the tour, we will kindly ask you to make online payment by clicking on “BOOK NOW” button on this page.
What is Included?
- Professional tour guide services by Serif Yenen or one of his team members.
- Orientation and introduction about the Byzantine and Ottoman history
- Some complimentary copies of Serif’s publications.
- Tea/coffee breaks.
- Entrance fees and costs to the places to be visited.
What is not Included?
- Personal expenses
- Gratuity to the guide (optional)
This tour is operated by A-group Travel Agency “Serif Yenen Travel” licensed by the Turkish Ministry of Tourism (Licence number: 8860)